Subject Leader: Mr P Couldridge
At Lowerplace, we foster positive, ‘can-do’ attitudes and we promote the fact that ‘Maths is for everyone!’ We believe all children can achieve in mathematics, and teach for secure and deep understanding of mathematical concepts through manageable steps. Mistakes and misconceptions are not to be afraid of and we use them as an essential part of learning and provide challenge through rich and sophisticated problems.
In mathematics, our pupils should:
- Have a sense of a number and where it fits into the number system
- Know by heart number facts such as number bonds, multiplication tables, doubles and halves
- Use what they know by heart to calculate mentally
- Calculate accurately using efficient written methods (see the school's calculation policy for further details)
- Have coherent strategies for solving word problems
- Explain their methods and reasoning using the correct mathematical vocabulary
- Suggest suitable units for measuring and make sensible estimations of measures
- Explain the information which is presented in graphs, tables, charts and any other diagrams
- Develop spatial awareness and an understanding of the properties of 2D and 3D shapes
White Rose Hub
Across school, we follow the Mastery approach using the White Rose Maths programme. Within White Rose Maths, children deepen their understanding of mathematical concepts, becoming more confident and competent and ready to face new challenges. It is important that pupils are secure in their knowledge and understanding across all mathematical areas and show resilience in their learning.
Within a lesson, children will explore and attempt fluency, reasoning and problem solving questions and will then work together to unpick questions and talk about different methods they have used to solve the problems. This way, all pupils, regardless of ability, can support and learn from one another.
Times Tables Rock Stars
Times Tables Rock Stars is an important part of your child’s routine in practicing their times tables. Every child in Lowerplace has their own account and can log on at any time to help improve their knowledge. This is a fun, easy, no-hassle way for the children to practise. All you have to do is encourage your children to log on and play!
At Lowerplace, teachers follow the calculation policies established by White Rose. You can click on the links below to see what methods are taught in school so you know how to help your child at home.
Annual Curriculum Overviews
To ensure that all content is covered, teachers follow a carefully planned overview of small steps. To see a long-term overview of what topics a child will be learning and when, please click on the relevant year group below.